Friday, November 20, 2009

"What's Doin' With Diefenbaker?" volume 4

Hello friends, Johnny Diefenbaker here. Well, band practice was cancelled tonight (again... we're averaging less than one a week at this point, not counting recording sessions, which are, of course, useful in their own way, but they're not the same as practice sessions), so I was just sitting here on my ass reading All Music Guide (specifically about indie band Grandaddy... I have no idea why, I don't think I've ever heard one second of one of their songs and they have one of the worst band names in history, I'm just obsessed with cramming in as much of AMG as will fit between my ears...) listening to the newest Diefenbaker demos that I mixed yesterday and I thought, "Self, why not post the newest Diefenhotness to the Diefenblog for all the Diefenfans in the Diefenworld?" Then I punched myself in the face for overusing the Diefenprefix to the point where it gets annoying and uploaded our new demo of Maybe Michelle!

KEVIN, THIS IS A LINK TO THE AUDIO OF THE NEW DEMO OF MAYBE MICHELLE, CLICK ON IT TO HEAR THE AUDIO

For comparison's sake, I also uploaded my original one-man demo of the song recorded back in March at the very beginning of the Diefenbaker project, previously only available on hurting Soundclick.com...

KEVIN, THIS IS THE LINK TO THE OLD DEMO OF MAYBE MICHELLE, I'M PRETTY SURE YOU'VE ALREADY HEARD IT AND TOLD ME IT SUCKS

I listened to both back-to-back. I hadn't listened to the old one in a while and expected to totally hate it, but it has it's charms. The newer demo boasts much improved vocals from Shari (as opposed to me... something she's always carped about, that the demos featured my voice instead of hers, so they couldn't be accurately put out there as representative of what the band sounds like... but I write the songs, so that's sort of unavoidable) and more ass-kicking guitars courtesy of my new Ibanez run though a distortion pedal (as oppossed to the original demo's completely non-fuzzed, crap-guitar-through-chorus-pedal-only, Cocteau Twins attempt) and that burbling Gary Numan synthline, but the old demo from March isn't the worst thing in the world... even though I did record it through the headphone jack on the 4-track as opposed to the line out because I hadn't quite figured out how to use the damn thing yet.

So that's all for now. If you're interested, there's an acoustic version of this same song and a band practice snippet from when we first started working on it if you scroll down in this terrible blog. I'd find the links and repost them, but 20/20 is on and I've got to go watch it. I'm sure you understand.

Merry Christmas,
Johnny Diefenbaker

(P.S. - I apologize for the caps-locked text in the links, but my brother claimed that he could never find the links to audio in the Diefenblog, so I thought I'd help him out.)

5 comments:

  1. I love it!!! Shari, your voice sounds so mature and beautiful. I love it!!! Also, I love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played Maybe Michelle for my dinner party guests today and they all agreed that it was amazing. Just wanted to let you both know. Sorry for the multiple comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem, the more comments the better! Thanks for all the positive feedback on here and on Twitter/Facebook, and for spreading the word in North Van.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Demo is great! Keep it coming! It's not often someones demo makes it onto my ipod ;)

    ReplyDelete