Sunday, March 14, 2010

Full-band demo of World Winds Down, plus full-band cover of the most Canadian song ever!


New buns fresh from the Diefenbaker oven! Grab 'em here, and take care not to burn the roof of your mouth:

World Winds Down (new full-band demo!!)
Tournament of Hearts (Weakerthans cover, also full-band!!!)

We put "World Winds Down" on the fast track for full-band demoing this weekend, both because we both really like the song, and also because Shari already had in place, when we'd practice the song, this really cool synthesizer arpeggio that was missing from my solo demo. We couldn't find a rhythm track on the drum machine that was as fitting as the origninal loop I used off of the CTK-601 keyboard, so I just re-recorded that for the foundation. Unfortunately, since we record on a 4-track, we had to leave off the additional percussion track I had on the solo demo, but I think the synth part more than makes up for it.

We started practicing "Tournament of Hearts", by Winnipeg, MB's own The Weakerthans, during the Vancouver olympics, when I realized that the entire song is about curling. Or curling as a methaphor for life. Or something like that, it's a dang catchy song. I already considered it a highlight from their 2007 album "Reunion Tour" even though I had no idea what most of the lyrics were about when I started watching coverage of curling matches and thought, "Hmm, I seem to remember hearing a lot of this jargon somewhere before." Of course Shari was all for doing a cover of it, as her father had won most of the major appliances her family had at curling matches while she was growing up in Manitoba (I'm not kidding). The song seemed a perfect fit, considering band Diefenbaker's mixture of genuine Canadian-ness and Canada-philia, if either of those are words. I'm pretty sure that they're not.

As always, personel on both recordings is:
Shari Fentastak: vocal, synthesizer
The Prime Minister Johnny Diefenbaker: guitar
various cheap drum machines and keyboards: drums

"World Winds Down" lyrics: J. Diefenbaker, music: J. Deifenbaker, S. Fentastak, published 2010 Let Me In I'm Having A Baby Songs

"Tournament of Hearts" lyrics: J. Samson, music: the Weakerthans, published 2007 The Weakerthans

Bury me out on the prairie...

Johnny D.

No comments:

Post a Comment