Saturday, December 26, 2009

'Cuz it's not the speed that kills...

"Hey, look! No, stupid, over there!"
"What the [expletive deleted]? It's a new full-band demo from Diefenbaker!"
"Well don't that beat all. I thought they broke up after trying to record a Wham cover..."

GRAB THE FULL-BAND DEMO OF "DIFFERENTIAL SPEEDS" HERE! BETTER THAN THE "RAW TAKE" VERSION, BETTER THAN THE "I'M BUSY" VERSION!

Believe me, I'm as surprized by it as you are.

So, yesterday, a day that just so happened to be Jesus of Nasareth's 2010th (or is that 2009th?) birthday, band Diefenbaker struggled their struggling asses into the Official Diefenbaker Practice Space (see pictures a couple posts back) at about 10pm EST or so for band practice. Since we'd had extra time off work for the holiday it was a record-breaking third night in a row for band practice. Your friend John Diefenbaker was assuming this was going to be a short one, what with the recent frequency of practice and the residual effects of Christmas dinner and all. Wednesday night we'd just run through some of the old Dief standards, with Paul Gross' "Ride Forever", from the Due South soundtrack, thrown in at the end by my request (we hadn't really touched it since we recorded the legendary demo of it on Halloween... scroll down if you missed that one), and Thursday's installment was completely focused on working out synth parts and a general direction for "Differential Speeds", the obvious next candidate to be demoed. So coming into Friday's practice, Shari had a fairly complete keyboard part for the song, so we ran through it a time or two.

Suddenly, in a rarely heretofore seen display of self-motivation and decision-making ability, Shari said, "Okay, want to record a demo of that?" In reality, I wanted to do nothing less, but I reasoned, "Well, my part's relatively easy, I can still be downstairs blankly staring at the television within twenty minutes, why the hell not?"

So the Monstrosity was hauled in on the flatbed truck required to carry it, cords were unplugged from things and plugged into other things, etc etc who cares, and there you have it. I was downstairs watching Rick Springfield videos before I knew it after nailing my guitar part in a take so overflowing with the combustive power of rock n' roll that the pick I was using couldn't stand the fury and broke up like an airliner over the Atlantic, parts of it never to be found again. True story.

The weird part was was that while I was downstairs watching Heart videos with Eddie Argos (the cat, keep up with her at @kittyargos on twitter), Shari didn't reemerge until (she says, I wasn't keeping track) four hours later. Apparently she didn't like the synth part we'd been practicing, so eventually just threw it out and came up with an entirely new bass part. I think it sounds pretty good, but I did like the key part, and it begs the obvious question: If we're going to be doing bass parts on the keyboard, why not do them on the bass guitar that's propped up in the corner that never gets used? But I shall leave that for smarter men than I to ponder.

Tonight I shall leave you with the lyrics to "Differential Speeds", which I probably should have been providing for these songs all along, as the mixes aren't neccessarily the clearest, but I just thought of it for this song. Download, listen, and read along...

Differential Speeds (lyrics by Borneman, music by Borneman/Fedak)
With open arteries, all the blood flows out
If you're not careful
But you could pull a gun, blow my heart right out
And I'd still love you
But do ya get really, the magnitude of me?
Are you in or are other plans gonna come up?
And are we a "we" or are we traveling different speeds?
I just can't bring myself to ask
'Cause it's not the speed that kills
It's the differences in speed that kill, so ya wonder why
I don't like the way you say things sometimes?
It's 'cause it's not the speed that kills
Over highways my plane floats down
Out of the cloudbank
Familiar concourse, familiar flat
Unfortunately
'Cause where I've just been is the place I'd rather be
Morning light shining through your blinds making lines
I think you feel the same, but this is all insane
Feels like we're going so fast...
But it's not the speed that kills
It's the differences in speed that kill, so ya wonder why
I don't like the way you say things sometimes?
It's 'cause it's not the speed that kills
Do you care at all? 'Cause you're not there at all
Though you call all the time, somehow that's worse than not at all
When we're face to face, I swear your face betrays
Something that makes me fear for my life
Goodbye
Landing gear deploys, I feel it come down
Impact the tarmac
An image in my mind, for just a flash
A brick wall on the runway
You know I love you?
You know that, don't you?


Oh, PS: This, as well as the other full-band demos, are available on our myspace music player, available by clicking on the award-winning graphic you see at the upper right of this very page.

Kisses, J.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment